WiiTalk - The Complete Nintendo Wii Resource

Go Back   WiiTalk - The Complete Nintendo Wii Resource > Information and New Members Area > Forum News > Wiitalk Awards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
FooFan
Captain Falcon(Admin)

Location: WiiTalk HQ - Lending the rock god a helping hand, or 2... and a foot...
Mii Mood:
Wii Username: Martin
FooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than sense
Awards Showcase
The 6,000 posts The 2 years The Admin 
Total Awards: 3
Thumbs up **WiiTalk's Game of the Decade**

Right, had this idea over lunch and I think it could work well!

Basically, as this decade comes to an end, I thought it would be interesting for us to have a series of nominations, and then polls, to see what everyone thinks the best game of the decade has been for each of the main companies and then an overall, undisputed, game of the decade!

So, we can start the nomination phase now and try to get as many people's opinions as possible. It would be good if you could provide a bit of justification to your choices so we can all get an idea of where you are coming from and hopefully spark a bit of discussion.

Note that this is game of the decade, so it must've been released on the respective console between the 1st January 2000 and now(So we're really looking at Gamecube, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS2, PS3). Please post the release date of your chosen game(s) when nominating them.

The nomination format will work as follows:
  • Everyone may nominate up to 3 games for each respective company's main consoles(Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony)
  • There may be another category for PC games and Handheld consoles if people think it'll be a good idea!
  • Along with your company-specific games, you can also nominate 1 game which you believe to be the 'best of the decade'.
  • When all the nominations are in(Deadline will be announced later), Polls will be created for the most nominated games in each category(I.E One poll for Ninty, One for MS, One for Sony and one for GotD)
  • There will then be a voting period and after that we will have 4 games to be crowned as best [instert company here] game of the deacade and then Game of the Decade
  • Only nominate and vote for games that you have played and can justify voting for
I think that covers everything...

Any questions ask away and you can change your nominations if you so wish at a later date. Please make it clear which games you are nominating though and in what category. Feel free to discuss possible contenders however.

Nominations so far:

Game of the Decade

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 2
Fallout 3 - 2
GTA 3 - 1
GTA IV - 2
Little Big Planet - 1
Resident Evil 4(Wii)- 1
Shenmue - 1
Super Mario Galaxy - 1
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect - 1

Nintendo

Animal Crossing: Let's go to the City - 1
Guitar Hero 5 - 1
Mario Kart Double Dash - 2
Mario Kart Wii - 4
Medal of Honour: Heroes 2 - 2
Metroid Prime - 2
Professor Layton and the Curious Village - 1
Resident Evil 4 - 5
Super Mario Galaxy - 7
Super Mario Sunshine - 1
Super Smash Bros. Melee - 1
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 3
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Walker - 1
Wii Fit - 1
Wii Sports - 2

Microsoft

Burnout 3 Revenge - 1
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 1
Fallout 3 - 2
GTA 3 - 1
GTA IV - 3
Halo - 1
Halo 3 - 3
Orange Box - 1
Shenmue II - 1
Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic - 2

Sony

Burnout Paradise - 1
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 2
Deus Ex - 1
Fallout 3 - 3
Gran Turismo 3: A-spec - 1
GTA 3 - 2
GTA IV - 1
Ico - 1
Killzone 2 - 2
Kingdom Hearts - 1
Little Big Planet - 6
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 1
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 1
Orange Box - 1
Red Faction - 1
Soulcalibur 3 - 1
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect - 1
Uncharted 2 - 1

Last edited by FooFan : 25-11-2009 at 07:46 AM.

"...We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing" - Firebox
Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us
Old 20-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fallen124Angel
Ty (WiiTalk's News Reporter)

Mii Mood:
Wii Username: Count Fag-ula
Wii Code: 0703 5030 7379 5907
Fallen124Angel has a reputation beyond reputeFallen124Angel has a reputation beyond reputeFallen124Angel has a reputation beyond reputeFallen124Angel has a reputation beyond reputeFallen124Angel has a reputation beyond reputeFallen124Angel has a reputation beyond reputeFallen124Angel has a reputation beyond reputeFallen124Angel has a reputation beyond reputeFallen124Angel has a reputation beyond reputeFallen124Angel has a reputation beyond reputeFallen124Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Awards Showcase
The 1 Year The Designer The 1,000 posts The Blogger 
Total Awards: 4

The ultimate game of the decade for me has to be Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, due to the fact that it gave a fresh boost to the whole genre of FPSs.

Release date: November 9, 2007.

PSN ID: Fallen124Angel

DO A BARREL ROLL!
Old 20-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
ynneBenny
Charmander

Mii Mood:
Wii Username: Whitey/PS3 - Bucky
Wii Code: 6836-5531-6364-7887
ynneBenny has a reputation beyond reputeynneBenny has a reputation beyond reputeynneBenny has a reputation beyond reputeynneBenny has a reputation beyond reputeynneBenny has a reputation beyond reputeynneBenny has a reputation beyond reputeynneBenny has a reputation beyond reputeynneBenny has a reputation beyond reputeynneBenny has a reputation beyond reputeynneBenny has a reputation beyond reputeynneBenny has a reputation beyond repute
Awards Showcase
A.R.S.E 
Total Awards: 1

Nintendo:

Resident Evil 4 - A great game for the Wii. Completed it on Easy, Normal and almost finished it on professional. Good graphics, great game play and controls worked really well.

MOHH2 - Purely for the online. Hours of fun.

Sony.

Fallout 3. Possibly my most favourite game of all time. I'm on my third run through and still have 3 DLC's to experience. The graphics are excellent, the story is exceptional and everything about it just feels so right. I've always been a fan of post apocalyptic themes (I have dreams about nuclear bombs dropping ) and this game fulfils all expectations.

Little Big Planet. I played the single player and loved it. Spending hours creating levels didn't get boring. You are only limited by your imagination..... I just wish Media Molecule released more official levels for it.

I'm leaving the other two for a while so I can think about it a bit........

Old 20-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Riddler_Tam
Wii

Wii Username: Wii (Tam)
Wii Code: 3753-6224-1742-8111
Riddler_Tam will become famous soon enough
Awards Showcase
The 1,000 posts 
Total Awards: 1

Here is my nomination's:

Nintendo

1. Super Mario Galaxy: 16 November 2007: Loved this game from start to finish roll on the sequel.
2. Wii Sports: 8 December 2006: Changed the face of gaming forever many hours spent with friends and family with this title.
3. Resident Evil 4: 31 May 2007: excellent gameplay controls and graphics make this a must have title.

Sony

1. Burnout Paradise: 5 February 2009: Excellent gameplay and graphics off/on line play many lost hours.
2. Call Of Duty 4: 9 November 2009: Multiplayer gaming bliss graphics and gameplay both excellent.
3. Little Big Planet: 5 November 2008: The Gameplay and Graphics in this game are amazing Sackboy ftw

Game of the decade Super Mario Galaxy

Last edited by Riddler_Tam : 20-10-2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Didn't read thread and posted to quick lol

Designer Caboose

Designer Burnout

Old 20-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
FooFan
Captain Falcon(Admin)

Location: WiiTalk HQ - Lending the rock god a helping hand, or 2... and a foot...
Mii Mood:
FooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than senseFooFan has more reputation than sense
Awards Showcase

Should've waited Tam

The nominations are company specific, not console specific, so it takes into account both consoles. So people nominating 3 microsoft games can choose 3 from the enitre Xbox and Xbox 360 catalogues combined, but not 3 from each.

Hope I've made that clearer now!

I'm not going to post my nominations just yet, but My first instincts for Nintendo were definitely Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess and then another from a selection of a few games...

I think my Xbox ones at the moment would be GTA IV, Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic and CoD4.

With MW2 coming out next month though, I guess there's every reason why that could leapfrog it's predecessor... but for a title like 'Game of the Decade' I think a game needs to prove itself in the long run and it'll probably come just a bit too late...

"...We don't stop playing because we get old; we get old because we stop playing" - Firebox
Old 20-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
burnout2006
Dry Bones

Mii Mood:
Wii Username: Mike
Wii Code: 5851-0975-8011-3630
burnout2006 is a splendid one to beholdburnout2006 is a splendid one to beholdburnout2006 is a splendid one to beholdburnout2006 is a splendid one to beholdburnout2006 is a splendid one to beholdburnout2006 is a splendid one to beholdburnout2006 is a splendid one to behold
Awards Showcase
The 2,000 posts The 1 Year 
Total Awards: 2

Ninty:

1. LoZ: Twilight Princess: Nov 19th 2006: One of the best Zelda games ever, great depth to the story, excellent storyline, visually nice, maintains the core of a zelda game.
2. Super Mario Galaxy: 16 Nov 2007: One of the most breathtaking games i've played, exploring hundreds of planets collecting loads of stars, good level of difficulty as well. Awesome game!
3. Mario Kart Wii: April 11th 2008: Multiplayer mayhem.

Microsoft:

1. Call of Duty 4: November 9th 2007: The campaign was epic, the multiplayer is mega addictive. Refreshed the FPS genre imo.
2. Halo 3: September 26th 2007: Excellent campaign, online is great too
3. GTA4: December 3rd 2008: Very in depth single player and the free mode online is crazy fun. So much detail in the game it's uncanny.

Last edited by burnout2006 : 20-10-2009 at 07:58 PM.

^ Cheers Doylen

Codes & Links - Click Show Spoiler
Old 20-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Nicko
Link (WiiTalk Blogger)

Mii Mood:
Wii Username: Nick
Wii Code: 4920-8914-1571-5576
Nicko has more reputation than senseNicko has more reputation than senseNicko has more reputation than senseNicko has more reputation than senseNicko has more reputation than senseNicko has more reputation than senseNicko has more reputation than senseNicko has more reputation than senseNicko has more reputation than senseNicko has more reputation than senseNicko has more reputation than sense
Awards Showcase
The 6,000 posts The 2 years The Helpful beyond the call of duty The Designer 
Total Awards: 5

Are we even gonna be able to get any nominations for Sony games?

Do the nominations have to be exclusives? if so, can we nominate a mutliplatform GOTD?

Friend Codes
Old 21-10-2009, 07:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
FooFan
Captain Falcon(Admin)

Mii Mood:
Awards Showcase

The nominations don't have to be exclusive, no.

There's always the chance that one game could win the Sony, MS and overall GotD!

It will actually be quite interesting to see how many exclusive titles make it to the voting stages. I think it will be a high(If not all) amount from Ninty, but on the other 2, I think the games will be mostly Multi-platform...

Give or take a few of course

Old 21-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pvt. Michael J. Caboose
Dr. Doak (WiiTalk's Best Username)

Mii Mood:
Wii Username: Caboose
Wii Code: 4905-8112-8218-4730
Pvt. Michael J. Caboose has a reputation beyond reputePvt. Michael J. Caboose has a reputation beyond reputePvt. Michael J. Caboose has a reputation beyond reputePvt. Michael J. Caboose has a reputation beyond reputePvt. Michael J. Caboose has a reputation beyond reputePvt. Michael J. Caboose has a reputation beyond reputePvt. Michael J. Caboose has a reputation beyond reputePvt. Michael J. Caboose has a reputation beyond reputePvt. Michael J. Caboose has a reputation beyond reputePvt. Michael J. Caboose has a reputation beyond reputePvt. Michael J. Caboose has a reputation beyond repute
Awards Showcase
The 2 years The 4,000 posts The WiiTalk Meet II The Designer 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFan View Post
Microsoft
Halo 3 - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 1
Is this a special crossover version? I like the sound of it!
Old 21-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Venerable(ish)Bede
PC原人(WiiTalk's Cleverest and Funniest Member)

Mii Mood:
Wii Username: FABRICATUS DIEM
Wii Code: PUNC
Venerable(ish)Bede has more reputation than senseVenerable(ish)Bede has more reputation than senseVenerable(ish)Bede has more reputation than senseVenerable(ish)Bede has more reputation than senseVenerable(ish)Bede has more reputation than senseVenerable(ish)Bede has more reputation than senseVenerable(ish)Bede has more reputation than senseVenerable(ish)Bede has more reputation than senseVenerable(ish)Bede has more reputation than senseVenerable(ish)Bede has more reputation than senseVenerable(ish)Bede has more reputation than sense
Awards Showcase
The 2,000 posts The 2 years The WiiTalk Meet II The WiiTalk Meet 
Total Awards: 5

What a great idea Foo.

*goes away to check release date for PSO*

God appeared to have reacted badly to Bede's prayer for electricity to charge his DS

PS3 ID: