Home » News

Monster Hunter Wii to have Online Fees

Written by a WiiTalk member on Thursday, 12 March 20099 Comments

The upcoming Japanese port of Monster Hunter G on the Wii will have an initial 2 week trial period followed by fees to play online! It has not yet been announced if this will apply to Monster Hunter 3 when it is released in the US and Europe.  Does this start a new trend, and the end of free online gaming on the Wii?  I hope not!

We’ll just have to hope that it is purely the popularity of the game in Japan that has brought Capcom to make this decision, and the fact that it is not so popular in the West will deter them from doing it here.

Full report here at Ars Technica:

Monster Hunter G

• Sean Aaron said:

Well, apparently previous console incarnations of this game have always been pay-to-play online in Japan, so this isn’t really news. What’s not clear is whether or not they’ll follow suit with Tri overseas since they seem keen to have it take off there.

I’m not really interested in the idea of paying to play online myself, so I hope the basic game will be worth owning by itself.

• biddenden_sue said:

My kids have been very keen to have Monster Hunter 3, having bought the previous 2 on PSP. I will not be getting them this game if you have to pay to play online though.

It’ll be a long time before I willingly go down that road.

• SirTeejay said:

frankly i will be glad if nintendo has a pay to play service in future..you see xbox live (which i have ) and you get so much more…the nintendo wifi connection doesnt quite cut it for me so paying would entail a greater service in return..the only down side is there will be less players.

• mastiffchild said:

I’ve got Live and PSN and I get what SirTeejay says as the Wii Connect service is very, very basic by comparison to the other two.

Also, when you think of the lag on some Wii online games(MOH and SSBB spring to mind)you wonder just how well this is gonna work online but if it did for PS2 it might be okay-I never went online with any MH games. Interesting to see Capcom make the decision to go from PS to Wii with this(tri-after G)and I see the pay to play as being very ambitious for one game in the west and it must be seen as experimental.

Dunno quite how they’d get round making their own country pay while giving foreigners a free service though! Live you sub to while PSN gets revenue from sales(microtransactions in home) so I’m guessing that Ninty must fund theirs with Internet channel purchases, WiiWare and VC d’loads and tbh, the service beeds boosting and if Capcom are going to provide big dedicated servers -which given the numbers of Japanese that play MH they’ll need-then paying might be the only way to go.

Obviously with the huge Wii install base there’s lots of custom out there but the lower connection rate for Nintendos console shows sow they lag in the online stakes and they need to sharpen this up-think how Wii and WiiWare demos could have helped games sell. I know it’s linked to the storage issue but who minds deleting a free download when they get the disc for the game etc?

I know MS make loads from people paying for Live(and I do myself again these days) but for games the only big difference(to me) is the cross game chatting which PSN lacks and maybe ther fact that every 360 has a headset means theres more talking in team games but, those apart I prefer PSN which is funded differently. Oddly, to me, as well PSN has more games on dedicated servers than Live which, even for big games like Gears relies on P2P hosting. But with no fees and no Home(which though it still has it’s critics now WILL continue to make Sony much cash AND improve vastly by years end)and little storage have Ninty painted themselves into an online corner?
    The lack, so far, of any MP online multiplayer speaks volumes to me about how keen they are to get into this right now and SSBB was awful while MKWii is a bonle exce[ption based on guessing(IIRC)where carts will be to eliminate some lag. I do hope the attitude cghanges but if Capcom want to charge theres thousands of Japanese willing to pay-trust me-I just hope it isn’t too steep and that it works ok. I’ll be watching how this does before making the jump(or not) with MH3 which, for Wii esp, looks amazing.

• julien said:

I am so impatient they make one for ps3

• cleanmitts said:

Holla, intresting post I have just subscribed to your mailing list

• SEO Backlinkpakete said:

Your site does not display properly on my iphone 4 - you may wanna try and repair that

• Prada Outlet said:

Well, I was harvested, your post is very special, you will always on my new post, sharing is a kind of happiness, I am at home drinking coffee and smoking a cigar is waiting for your new post

• Tran Trang said:

Hey! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog. Is it hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I’m thinking about creating my own but I’m not sure where to begin. Do you have any points or suggestions? Many thanks